Posting Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience
Position Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director, Legal Operations, this role is dedicated to process improvement, people management, and advocacy for the paralegals and legal project policy analysts. The successful candidate will provide the strategic direction and operational oversight of the system-wide paralegals, legal project policy analysts, and related programs, working closely with a peer position that similarly leads the Legal Support Specialists and Legal Team Administrative Assistants. This leader will be a member of the Legal Operations leadership team and will work with departmental leadership to ensure the health of Legal practice support as a whole, evolving over time as necessary.
Special Conditions of Employment: Travel Travel outside of normal business hours
Other Special Conditions of Employment: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position.
Job Close Date:
Duty 1: - Establishes and continuously improves an effective paralegal utilization management program; ensures policy analysts are deployed in a manner to maximize their impact.
- Develops and advocates solutions to system or workflow issues, including the development and implementation of new systems, policies, processes, and programs to foster healthy outcomes for the legal practices. Develops proposals and recommendations to guide and support a broader strategic direction for the organization. May lead the implementation of solutions, monitor progress and impact, and develop adjustments.
- Researches, summarizes, and implements organizational best practices based upon independent analysis and input from key stakeholders.
- Leverages well-developed management skills, including the ability to establish, articulate, and enforce priorities, actively engage on budgetary topics with key partners, consistently meet strategic deadlines, effectively support operational needs, and lead teammates in a multi-dimensional environment characterized by some degree of ambiguity and competing demands for scarce resources.
- Regularly discusses service levels, skill and bandwidth needs, and feedback regarding specific teammates with the attorneys who interact with paralegals and policy analysts. Facilitates optimal utilization of resources.
- Establishes, maintains, and oversees the implementation of new or improved programs and processes; develops a training curriculum and oversees its delivery and improvement.
- Collaborate with Office of Legal Affairs peers in similar roles from various campuses to share best practices and develop new processes.
- Supports OGC's commitment to diversity and inclusion efforts. Function:Strategic Planning Percent: 50
Duty 2: - Fosters an environment of individual growth and career development while supporting departmental objectives; provides effective coaching and opportunities based on staff levels of development.
- Administers performance management processes and provides guidance and supervision to all paralegal and policy analyst personnel.
- Leads the recruitment, selection, retention, and training of Oakland-based paralegal and policy analyst teammates.
- Provides guidance and assistance to paralegal staff on complex legal issues.
- Serves as the liaison between attorneys and paralegals or policy analysts when staffing is needed beyond the standard coverage model.
- Practices Office of General Counsel's (OGC) established Values for Principles of Community: collaborative, supportive, respectful of differences, and committed to fairness and diversity in all interactions, both within and outside the team. Function:Supervision & Leadership Percent: 50
Job Requirements Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience.
Comfort and expertise to design and develop training and communication programs.
Demonstrable experience recruiting, retaining, coaching, and developing the careers of paralegals, legal policy analysts, or legal operations teammates.
Demonstrable ability to influence executive leadership on behalf of shared services staff within a Legal department or law firm.
Ability to develop recommendations and justification for the most productive course of action.
Insightful and creative skills in reasoning and logic.
Intermediate to advanced knowledge of relevant computer applications.
Advanced communication and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with and influence all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing.
Sense of humor.
Ability to multi-task with demanding time frames.
Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
Previous experience as a paralegal in a law firm or in-house legal team environment. Required
Excellent facilitation and presentation skills.
Thorough knowledge of UC processes, protocols and procedures.
Demonstrable affinity towards UC and its mission. Preferred
About us The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the corporate headquarters to the ten campuses, five medical centers and three Department of Energy National Labs and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About University of California Office of the President
The Office of the President is the systemwide headquarters of the University of California, managing its fiscal and business operations and supporting the academic and research missions across its campuses, labs and medical centers.